Trip to Busan

/
0 Comments
As most of you know, I always enjoy the opportunity to visit Busan.  During my most recent trip, I visited Busan City Hall to attend the Busan Future Economics Forum, where I was invited to speak by the Head of the Economic Trend Research Center, Park Jae-woon.  In my remarks, I explained how the economic goals of the United States and Korea are very closely aligned and expressed my optimism about the future of our economic partnership.  Our path forward consists of full implementation of the U.S.-Korea Free Trade Agreement (KORUS), building further on KORUS by ensuring a dynamic and innovative business environment, and increasing our two countries’ collaboration on economic policy.  To read my speech in its entirety, please visit our embassy website: https://goo.gl/ESmUCG.

Speaking at the Busan Future Economics Forum

After speaking, I took questions from the audience.  I was able to address some important issues, and I thank Park Jae-woon for the invitation and all the distinguished guests in attendance.

Taking a tour of Pier 8
Meeting with the 837th U.S. Army Transportation Battalion

Following the conclusion of the forum, I headed to Pier 8 for a tour and  to meet the 837th Transportation Battalion of the U.S. Army, which is part of U.S. Forces Korea (USFK).  We eventually made our way to the United States Naval Ship (USNS) Red Cloud where the tour continued with Master Donald L. Agold.  It was really great to see all of the various military units that are tenants at Pier 8 and become more acquainted with the work that they do.

Meeting with Master Agold and U.S. Navy officers aboard the USNS Red Cloud
Taking a tour of the USNS Red Cloud

After a hearty lunch on the USNS Red Cloud with Master Agold and other U.S. Navy officers from Pier 8, I departed for the Geumjong Mountain Fortress to go for a hike with students from the Aircraft Cabin Service Management Department at the Dongeui Institute of Technology.  Unfortunately, the weather wasn’t cooperating for our hike and the area was experiencing some rainfall.  Rather than getting cold and wet, we opted to visit Beomeosa Temple before hiking down to a café for refreshments.  It was really great to get to know these future flight attendants and hear about their career interests and aspirations.

Visiting Beomeosa Temple

Getting to know some of the students

Group photo with the students from Dongeui Institute of Technology

Once again, I had a wonderful time visiting Busan.  It is a city with much to offer, and I am looking forward to my next visit.


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.